Washington Youth Tour
Want to win an all-expense-paid trip to Washington D.C.?
Each year, several local high school juniors are chosen to represent Duncan Valley Electric Cooperative in the Electric Cooperative Youth Tour, a weeklong educational trip to Washington, D.C. The Youth Tour gives students a chance to see government in action, visit historic sites and learn about electric cooperatives.
Selection of participants is a competetive process. Scoring is based on the application and letters of reference, the essay, an interview by a panel of judges, and a quiz based on your knowledge of electric cooperatives.
Next Youth Tour Dates:
The 2012 Youth Tour Dates will be June 14-21.
How to Enter:
1. Complete an application. You can download the application below. The application is a fillable form. Just fill it out, print it, and then sign and have your parents sign and date the application. You can save the application to your computer and you will be able to save it as you work on it.
2. Attach two (2) letters of reference from members of your community. Please do not request both letters from school staff or teachers. Suggestions for references would be youth club leaders, church leaders or teachers, employers, or neighbors.
3. Write a 500 word essay. The essay must be typed and double spaced. DO NOT put your name on the essay. The essays will be assigned a code and distributed to our judges who will score the essays.
Essay Topic: "What Would You Sacrafice for Freedom?"
4. Download and read the information about rural electrification. A quiz will be given when you come in for an interview.
5. All students entering an application and essay will be called in for an interview and to take our quiz.
Applications and essays are due by Friday, November 4, 2011. Once all the applications are in, interview times will be set up.
1. Student must be in his/her Junior level of high school.
2. Parents or Legal Guardians must be members of Duncan Valley Electric Cooperative.
3. Student must complete an application and have parents'/legal guardians' permission to participate.
4. If chosen as a participant, student and parents/legal guardians agree that the cooperative may use their names, likeness or images in publications of the cooperative.
To learn more about the trip: